Proposal: user defined attributes

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Mar 20 09:13:26 PDT 2012

On 3/20/12 10:52 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-03-20 16:17, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 3/20/12 12:50 AM, Kapps wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we should add a field of type Variant[string].
>
> No, not Variant[string] again.

Why? I thought it was agreed that that's a good idea for exceptions.

>> I'm not saying this particular feature should or should not be in the
>> language, but I wish our community exercised considerably more restraint
>> when it comes about adding new language features.
>
> See my reply to one of your other posts:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/bccwycoexxykfgxvedix@forum.dlang.org?page=9#post-jk9gk8:242t7k:241:40digitalmars.com

I understand the intention there, but my point stands: let's first
explore doing it in the language, and advocate a new feature only when
that fails. We've been too trigger-happy about proposing features even
for the most trivial inconveniences.

Andrei