Proposal: user defined attributes

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:56:12 PDT 2012

Le 20/03/2012 22:36, Andrei Alexandrescu a écrit :
> On 3/20/12 4:36 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> We have the opportunity here to introduce in D the concept of aspect
>> oriented programming. This is HUGE. If you are afraid of the addition of
>> a functionnality to the language, don"t worry, you are not just adding a
>> functionnality, but a whole new paradigm.
>
> I dabbled into AOP quite a bit, but I'm not all that jazzed about it.
> It's been around for quite a while but it has little to show for it. At
> the present it's rather unstructured and lacks a strong corpus of useful
> idioms. I'd say - interesting, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
>
> Andrei

Honestly, AOP is quite hard to use right now because of the lack of
language support. This is a chicken and egg issue.

This is more and more used in Java, for good reasons. I think we will
sooner or later talk about modern Java like we talk about modern C++ today.

You are well placed to know how template have been implemented in C++
simply for generic, and what comes out of it. And how awesome that is.

Many feature of the current D could have been implemented using AOP. I
think that pretty much made the point. AOP is useful, and as a proof
emulating it by compiler magic, when we cannot do without (synchronized,
override, deprecated, as examples).

If AOP wasn't useful, theses feature wouldn't have been included in D at
all. I'm suggesting templates, your answering « everything is a object,
so let's do generic, I don't see the point of templates ».