Three Unlikely Successful Features of D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Mar 20 15:58:31 PDT 2012

- Type inference
- alias
- foreach
- Everything about arrays/slices
- Built-in associative arrays that support nearly any type as a key
- Reference semantics for classes
- All the niceities of ctors compared with C++'s ctors
- Backtick strings
- Scope guards (And even finally: I head somewhere C++ doesn't even have
finally: Is that true?!?)
- GC
- Name any of D's metaprogramming features

Many of those can seem like simple things, but I'd *hate* to have to get by
without them. Heck, most of them I now take for granted.

Alias in particular is a much bigger deal than it seems since it's seemingly
trivial but can be *incredibly* helpful with templates *and* with importing.

Actually, looking at this list, I'm now starting to get a little worried
about an upcoming C++ project... No doubt I'll be trying to reinvent a lot
of D in it. Probably in ugly hackish ways.