Three Unlikely Successful Features of D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 07:23:37 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 21 March 2012 at 02:14:26 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> Ooh, nested functions and closures are another good one (or
> two).

I wouldn't call that unlikely, since nested functions are
one of the things I considered a potential killer feature
when I started with D.

(and indeed, it is very useful!)

Nested functions, auto, and scope guards were the
three killers in the pre-D1 that roped me in. And
they rok, oh they rok. But that is "likely success" :)

(well, and fast compilation; going back to Digital Mars
after some years of slow ass g++ was/is heaven)

One that surprised me personally though is import. Indeed,
import is why I passed over D the first time I looked
at it (in 2004 IIRC) - I saw "import" and said "gah
include is fine, eff this Java like poo..

Even when I got into D, I had to give myself comfort
that I can still have #include with mixin(import()) -
something I have never actually wanted to use after
writing the first line of real code.

import is amazing. D gets it all right, even with
stuff like bug 314, it is awesome.

But, is import unlikely success, or is this just a
leftover feeling from my massive bias in the early
days? I have to say it is my bias, since everyone
else uses import and they all know it is good.