Three Unlikely Successful Features of D

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed Mar 21 15:17:22 PDT 2012

On 03/21/2012 10:37 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "F i L"<witte2008 at gmail.com>  wrote in message
> news:sofbqiiyvragxjaxqbix at forum.dlang.org...
>> Kapps wrote:
>>> or even automatically creating bindings for a C header file.
>>
>> I've thought about that before. It would be great to have fully automatic
>> linking to C libs. You could even have a cache system that stores .di
>> files and only regenerates them if the .h file was modified.
>>

> That hits on the one irritating limitation of CTFE: No I/O. So that cache
> system would be a no-go right now.

I once cached CTFE results by wrapping some templates into another
template that would generate pragma(msg, ...) output that was then
fitered out by an external d program and written to temporary files. On
the next compilation run, the wrapper template would notice the
existence of a suitable cache file and use its contents instead of
starting the CTFE execution.