public MessageBox

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Thu Mar 22 08:49:16 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 00:30:51 UTC, Nathan M. Swan wrote:
> As I posted a while back, the concept of a variant message
> queue is wonderful and powerful, and the implementation is
> great. But the fact that you can't declare "auto mq = new
> MessageQueue()" is a gaping whole in an otherwise A+ API.

Nice to hear that I'm not alone with that opinion – I hit the
same problem when implementing a request log file writer for
Thrift, which runs in a separate thread and communicates with the
main thread via a message queue.

It works great and performed even better than a similar C++
version due to lower lock contention, but the user'd better not
try to call receiveOnly!() from »his« thread…

David