Mono-D at GSoC - Mentor needed

Armnin Kazmi armin.kazmi at tu-dortmund.de
Sun Mar 25 06:41:38 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 24 March 2012 at 03:07:10 UTC, dnewbie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 March 2012 at 22:52:13 UTC, James Miller wrote:
>> A bit of a side note, but is there any way that some of this
>> work
>> could be made more standalone, even if somebody else has to
>> take up
>> the work to finish it and make it truly standalone. I
>> personally can't
>> stand fully integrated environments, but I do like things like
>> code
>> completion and the like, so it would be nice to be able to use
>> these
>> features in, for example, vim. I don't know how feasible this
>> is, but
>> it's worth mentioning.
>>
>> --
>> James Miller
>
> Yes!! I want a standalone version too.
> I like Mono-D very much, however, not being able to type the
> "~" key in MonoDevelog is really annoying.

I can't really agree here. Lets take the GSOC-List as the list of
crucial points about the D language ecosystem which need to be
fixed asap. All other stuff is extra and not even close as
important. (Don't forget the mono-D plugin is written in C#,
hence porting would be required with the implications of having
to keep D and C# code in sync). Please don't let us lose focus
here again...

1. We need a proper IDE
2. We need the GC problems/issues get fixed
(3. an official gc-less runtime)

At least I consider those points crucial for the success of D.
CTFE etc. are (very) nice things, but don't make the very core of
D any stable now.