std.containers - WAT

James Miller james at aatch.net
Tue Mar 27 21:13:12 PDT 2012

On 28 March 2012 17:00, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> Anyway, it would be great if more people can help with the docs. Just
> create an account on github and fork D-Programming-Language/phobos and
> D-Programming-Language/d-programming-language.org, run `git clone` on
> both repositories in the same directory, create a new branch, and edit
> away.  When you're ready to test, run a `make html` in the phobos
> directory. This will generate a copy of the docs on your local machine
> under ../web/phobos-prerelease/, which you can point your browser at.
> When you're happy with your changes, go to github and initiate a pull
> request on phobos from your working branch.

Lol, I am doing my best, I currently have a pull request for a typo
(not exactly a massive change, but every bit helps) and I will
probably contribute more when I have more experience with what is
there. I would say that I could improve the documentation for
std.algoritm, since I'm using it a lot right now, but its actually
pretty good, so that's kinda out of the question.

Knowing more about ranges would be very useful for people, since while
people have the understand that a range is a sequence of values
between two values, its not that obvious how that affects the
programming side of it. While Andrei's article is good, the audience
is clearly not people that just want to know "what is a Range, and how
do I use it".

I think one more thing that needs some changing is the usability of
the documentation, right now you get a dense list at the top, in
mostly-alphabetical order (I think it puts caps first, then lower
case) and then you get a massive list of classes and functions that
are difficult to navigate.

--
James Miller