How to use D for cross platform development?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Mar 28 12:03:47 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-28 17:23, Bennie Copeland wrote:

> I'm still new at low level programming topics like ABI's etc, so I'll
> betray my ignorance. Is the druntime only required for providing an
> interface between the executable and OS resources like IO, or is it
> inseparable from the language? For example, if I wrote the shell of an
> iOS app in Obj-C that handled the interface with the phone
> software/hardware, could the remaining core be written using D? Or is
> the language capabilities like GC, slicing, mixins, etc. intimately tied
> to the runtime or phobes?

Druntime is basically inseparable from the language. Among other things
it contains the GC, it's used for handling arrays (appending,
concatenation, slicing, switch statements and so on), threads, thread
local storage (TLS) and a lot of other stuff I can't remember right now.

But I don't see that stopping anyone for writing parts of an app using
Objective-C and the other parts using D.

--
/Jacob Carlborg