D for a Qt developer

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 15:13:30 PDT 2012

On 3/31/2012 4:23 PM, Davita wrote:

One general comment:  Lots of people ask for the stuff you're asking
for.  Progress is being made on all the relevant fronts, slowly but surely.

> 1) Database libs/ORMs.

I think Steve Teale is working on something for this, but I don't know
the details or how much progress is being made.

> 2) mature UI library (vector based ,declarative or at least to support
> styling like Qt stylesheet).

I think QtD is now usable since the relevant compiler bugs were ironed out.

> 3) Crypto libs for hashing and with asymmetric algorithm implementations.

You would probably be best off linking to a C library for this.  The
headers are in Deimos.  https://github.com/D-Programming-Deimos/openssl

> 4) XML libraries for generating and parsing xml docs. Although XSD
> validation support and XSL transforms.

Phobos has a pretty rudimentary XML lib.  Tango's been ported to D2,
though.  You could try it. https://github.com/SiegeLord/Tango-D2

> 5) networking libs with several main protocol implementations such as
> Http, FTP and SMTP.

std.net.curl was just added to the latest Phobos release.

> 6) and of course, RAD styled IDE.

Visual D might do what you want.

> Those are the minimum of my requirements in order to start development
> for a platform. So guys, what do you think, will D be useful for me? :-)
>
> P.S. what happened to Qt bindings? I saw that it was abandoned. Maybe
> working with trolltech/Nokia team to integrate D in QtCreator and
> creating and maintening Qt's D bindings would be the most awesome
> decision, but how achievable is it? :)

I personally don't use QtD, so I don't know where it's hosted, but a lot
of stuff that was on dsource has moved to Github.  If it looks abandoned
on dsource, it may have been migrated.