An observation

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Tue May 1 08:08:33 PDT 2012

On Tue, 01 May 2012 15:46:56 +0100
Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> This list often has threads that go to 300-400 contributions or more.
> After about 20-25 contributions the topic completely changes and is
> often completely unrelated to the subject.  Quite quickly I think
> TL;DR and so simply delete all future messages on that thread even
> though this means more than likely missing good contributions. The
> mis-match of subject and topic of the contained contribution is
> impossible to deal with, so I think why bother? If people would
> change the subject field and/or switch to a new thread with a new
> subject, it would enable much easier appreciation of the content, and
> hence more likely contribution.

Very true. I also have to ignore such threads consuming too much time.

Interestingly, the same point was today mentioned on #d and my
observation is that among all the mailing lists which I follow (via
Gmane), only wxwidgets-devel archive (which, btw, contains every comment
from the tracker) is close in size to d.D. (wx-devel ~135K messages
since year 2000 and d.D has ~160K messages since 2004).

Sincerely,
Gour

--
It is far better to discharge one's prescribed duties, even though
faultily, than another's duties perfectly. Destruction in the course