luajit-ffi

so so at so.so
Tue May 1 08:43:32 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 1 May 2012 at 15:31:05 UTC, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 16:24, so wrote:
>> http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html
>> https://github.com/malkia/ufo
>>
>> How awesome is Mike Pall?
>> I didn't dive into details of the code, but if he can do this
>> with a
>> dynamic language, why on earth D still need manual C bindings
>> while
>> having ABI compatibility? So luajit comes with a C compiler?
>
> Note that you can't just drop any C header file in there for
> that to work (as far as I can tell), you still have to bring
> out individual post-processed function declarations.

https://github.com/malkia/ufo/blob/master/ffi/OpenCL.lua
https://github.com/malkia/ufo/blob/master/ffi/OpenGL.lua
If it can handle these 2 beasts.

> Also, someone has written a libffi binding for D, which could
> probably be adapted to work in a similar manor:
>
> https://github.com/lycus/libffi-d

Neat. Still, having native C libraries means that you can just
drop your C/C++ environment and start D. And i am sure you agree
this is by far the biggest blocker for C/C++ developers.