D3 is potentially damaging

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue May 1 21:22:22 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:31:34AM +0200, Era Scarecrow wrote:
[...]
> But IF there is a D3 coming then it would be absolutely necessary
> that the D2 and D3 code could call each other seamlessly. D3 if/when
> it comes hopefully would be seen as the next step towards the ideal
> language which we would want and go to: This includes style,
> standard library, functionality, syntax, and perhaps collective
> experience of dozens or hundreds or programmers.

Hey, actually, that's an excellent idea. If there is ever a D3, it
should be binary-compatible with D2 code. At the very least, they should
be able to call each other seamlessly. In fact, dmd v3 should have a
compatibility option that supports compiling D2 code. This will ease the
D2->D3 transition a lot, and not alienate existing users (they can
continue using D2 for existing projects, and start new projects /
components with D3).

[...]
>  We will have to watch and wait to see what happens. In the
> meantime, I don't want to ever do any real C++ if I can help it...

Same here. For all its current warts, D is still superior to C++, and by
a long shot.  I just can't bear the thought of writing any more C++
code, especially for my own projects.

All men are mortal. Socrates is mortal. Therefore all men are Socrates.