An observation

Maxim Fomin maxim at maxim-fomin.ru
Tue May 1 22:04:42 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 1 May 2012 at 14:47:19 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> I got to a point of pain with the "Re: How can D become adopted
> at my
> company?" thread so I thought I would say something.

Good.

> This list often has threads that go to 300-400 contributions or
> more.

Good too.

> After about 20-25 contributions the topic completely changes
> and is
> often completely unrelated to the subject.

Neither true in general nor in the particular case. Although
discussion deviated a little bit from the topic, I found it very
useful. Many people have their own ideas what to do with D in
which direction, and information sharing is the first step to
understand what D is and what it will be in future.

> Quite quickly I think TL;DR
> and so simply delete all future messages on that thread even
> though this
> means more than likely missing good contributions.

For those, who didn't followed discussion it may be TL;DR, but
what about contributors? Even erroneously published posts are not
deleted and I expect nobody would bother to moderate things that
are even not obvious off-topic.

> The mis-match of
> subject and topic of the contained contribution is impossible
> to deal
> with, so I think why bother?

Actually many people bothered to read and to answer (likely to be
a majority). In fact they bothered so much, that such big threads
are very few. It is unacceptable to delete discussions because
somebody TL;DR.

> If people would change the subject field
> and/or switch to a new thread with a new subject, it would
> enable much
> easier appreciation of the content, and hence more likely
> contribution.

And this is a good advice.