Why D const is annoying

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 23:44:30 PDT 2012

You said:
"In C++, the compiler can't use it to provide any real **guarantees**..."

Now you're telling me D doesn't guarantee it either.
And then go on telling me about how D uses const-ness to make assumptions
and improve performance.

Isn't your answer orthogonal to your claim? o.O

Whether the compiler makes **GUARANTEES** about code is _irrelevant_ to
whether or not the language uses 'const' to improve performance.

You could very well have a language which **enforces** const-ness (i.e.
doesn't prevent casting it away), but which _doesn't_ use it to improve
performance.
Or which does.

The dot product of your answer with my question was zero. :(