Does D have too many features?

Tobias Pankrath tobias at pankrath.net
Wed May 2 03:15:24 PDT 2012

> No, it is not an O(1) operation, it is *close* to O(1) (as much
> sense as that statement can make). I don't know why you
> associate any particular complexity with 'in' in the first
> place. And I do think we're crippling the language, considering
> Python (and probably other languages) has had this feature
> since forever.
>
> I'm seriously worried. It seems to me like we're trying to
> cater to people who can't reason about the types in their
> program and the complexities of performing various operations
> on them. Since when did algorithmic complexity become a reason
> to take away syntax sugar?

+1

I do argee. opIn is handy for arrays, too. That the complexity
would be linear and thus it should be disallowed is not a valid
argument in my opinion, because with the exact same argument you
could kick std.algorithm.find out of phobos. It is just obvious
to every trained programmer that finding an element in an
unordered list takes O(n).