LDC and the Debian Repository

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Wed May 2 09:07:30 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 2 May 2012 at 13:16:04 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Downstream folk building a friendly
> and constructive relationship with Debian maintainers generally
> helps everyone.

Huh? You mean »upstream«?

> Is Arthur a sole maintainer or is he part of a team.

I don't know – as far as I'm aware, he is just a D user who
thought it would be nice to have LDC packaged (thanks a lot for
that, btw).

> gdc presumably is
> part of the GCC suite.  ldc could be part of the LLVM suite?

Well, LDC is just an open source project which happens to use
LLVM, and not affiliated with llvm.org in any way – so a D
suite of some kind would probably be a better fit. If the guys
maintaining the LLVM packages in Debian also took care of the LDC
packages, this would certainly be very welcome, but it's less of
a »natural fit« than it might seem.

> The problem in Ubuntu seems to be a different one, but of the
> same type.

Ubuntu is apparently shipping an ancient version of LDC (which
might as well be the lastest release, since for various reasons,
there hasn't been a release for quite some time now) – trunk is
at LLVM 3.0 now, and we have a 3.1 branch ready. I'll see what we
can get done regarding a new release in the next days/weeks.

David