Does D have too many features?

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Thu May 3 09:58:44 PDT 2012

On 03-05-2012 17:13, Don Clugston wrote:
> On 03/05/12 16:13, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>>> Other ones which were agreed to a long time ago were:
>>>
>>> * NCEG operators
>>>
>>> * built-in .sort and .reverse
>>
>> Good ones. In fact I even discounted them from this discussion because
>> I'd already considered them gone. Walter agreed that I don't mention
>> them in TDPL, with the intent to have them peter out.
>>
>> One good step right now would be to remove NCEG operators from the
>> online documentation. Later on, we'll consider them an accept-invalid
>> bug :o).
>
> Well, they are also used in druntime, in core.stdc.math
>
> BTW I *hate* that module, I don't know why it exists. Even worse, it
> seems to be growing -- people are adding more things to it.
> Practically everything in there has a better implementation in std.math.

But not quite everything yet. When I tried to pure/nothrow/@safe-ify
std.math[special], I eventually stumbled upon code that used core.stdc.math.

It would definitely be nice if we could completely kill any dependency
on that module, so we can actually make proper use of
pure/nothrow/@safe, etc.

--
- Alex