Does D have too many features?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu May 3 13:36:34 PDT 2012

On Thursday, May 03, 2012 15:30:40 Don Clugston wrote:
> What is this D3 thing ????
> As far as I can tell, 'D3' was invented by newcomers to the forums.

I think that what it comes down to is that there are a variety of people who
want features added or changed in D which are either not going to happen
anytime soon or will never happen in D2 (especially if they're major breaking
changes). So, they figure/hope that we'll have a new revision of the language
where we'll be able to make breaking changes and then maybe the changes that
they want will make it in then. After all, particularly from the perspective
of a newbie, we already had D2 which changed a bunch of stuff from D1, why
wouldn't we have D3 later on? And for folks who really want to see changes
that aren't going to happen, the idea that we're going to have another major
revision of the language which might make the changes that they want sounds
really appealing.

I think that Walter and Andrei have made it fairly clear when they've said
anything on the subject that there is no intention to make any kind of D3
anytime soon and that if we do, it'll be years from now after D2 is mature and
well-established, and it actually makes sense to do a new major revision. But
I do think that you're right in that the very idea of a D3 was created by
folks in the newsgroup. Walter and the other developers have been focusing on
stabilizing D2 as _the_ version of the language, not finishing it up so that
they can move onto D3. And the misconceptions about D1 that you've pointed out
in the past probably just help contribute to the idea that we'll have a D3 at
some point. Maybe we will, maybe we won't, but there's no point in worrying
about it for years yet.

- Jonathan M Davis