GSOC Linker project

Pierre LeMoine yarr.luben+dlang at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:47:19 PDT 2012

Hi!

I'm interested in starting a project to make a linker besides
optlink for dmd on windows. If possible it'd be cool to run it as
a gsoc-project, but if that's not an option I'll try to get it
admitted as a soc-project at my university.

Anyway, the project would aim to be a replacement or alternative
to optlink on windows. I've personally encountered quite a few
seemingly random problems with optlink, and the error messages
are not exactly friendly. My vision is to create a linker in a
relatively modern language (D) and to release the project as open
source.

So, I'm curious about some things; Is it too late to get this
accepted as a summer of code project? Are there any current
alternative linkers for dmd on windows, or any current projects
aiming to create one? And do any of you know of a "Everything you
need to know to write the best linker ever" resource center? ;]

/Pierre