Does D have too many features?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu May 3 16:41:30 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 01:12:20AM +0200, Era Scarecrow wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 22:29:47 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:32:52PM +0200, Era Scarecrow wrote:
> >Do we know (roughly) how many D users are out there right now?
>
>  Don't know. Need a poll :) I'm definitely sure we have at least 10
> users; beyond that I can only speculate; Maybe 2 to the power of ten
> or thirteen...

Only 10?? Judging from mailing list membership, I'd say at least 25 or
30, just on the forums alone. I'm assuming that people here aren't
subscribed just for kicks, they actually write D code. There are
probably more outside the forums (somebody mentioned an entire company
of D programmers before, perhaps about 50-100? I don't remember the
exact figure). There's got to be more out there, given that Andrei has
been giving talks about D for a while. *Somebody* in the audience must
be actually listening to what he says.

But in any case, I'd say we have a ways to go yet in terms of D
adoption.

[...]
>  Anyways, focus on the now. D3 may/will come some day, but that's a
> long ways off. Course if you plan early for certain things that will
> change it does make going towards it easier with language design, or
> give you more time to think about faults and fixes.

Yep.

Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.