GSOC Linker project

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu May 3 17:50:31 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 02:43:34AM +0200, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 04-05-2012 01:57, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> >The problem with writing linkers is that they are usually closely
> >tied to implementation details on the host OS.
[...]
> I know, but that doesn't mean you can't write the linker so that it
> actually *is* portable at *all* (unlike a certain other linker ;).

True, you could have a properly designed generic framework that makes
plugging in new OS-dependent code very easy. I believe something like
this is done by GNU BFD (binutils & family, probably subsuming ld as
well).

But then, you might as well just use binutils in the first place. :-)
The only catch is that windows has its own conventions on stuff, and
binutils is (AFAIK) tied to Posix.

[...]
> >To be frank, I question the wisdom of not just using ld on Posix
> >systems... but OTOH, the world *needs* better linker technology than
> >we currently have, so this projects like this one is a good thing.
>
> Well, there's currently an LLVM linker in the works. If anything,
> that's probably the way forward. But seeing as DMD is not using
> LLVM...
[...]

As long as LDC is an option, I think all is well. :-)

Only boring people get bored. -- JM