Does D have too many features?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri May 4 00:45:17 PDT 2012

On Friday, May 04, 2012 09:38:24 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-05-03 22:36, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 03, 2012 15:30:40 Don Clugston wrote:
> >> What is this D3 thing ????
> >> As far as I can tell, 'D3' was invented by newcomers to the forums.
> >
> > I think that what it comes down to is that there are a variety of people
> > who want features added or changed in D which are either not going to
> > happen anytime soon or will never happen in D2 (especially if they're
> > major breaking changes). So, they figure/hope that we'll have a new
> > revision of the language where we'll be able to make breaking changes and
> > then maybe the changes that they want will make it in then. After all,
> > particularly from the perspective of a newbie, we already had D2 which
> > changed a bunch of stuff from D1, why wouldn't we have D3 later on? And
> > for folks who really want to see changes that aren't going to happen, the
> > idea that we're going to have another major revision of the language
> > which might make the changes that they want sounds really appealing.
> >
> > I think that Walter and Andrei have made it fairly clear when they've said
> > anything on the subject that there is no intention to make any kind of D3
> > anytime soon and that if we do, it'll be years from now after D2 is mature
> > and well-established, and it actually makes sense to do a new major
> > revision. But I do think that you're right in that the very idea of a D3
> > was created by folks in the newsgroup. Walter and the other developers
> > have been focusing on stabilizing D2 as _the_ version of the language,
> > not finishing it up so that they can move onto D3. And the misconceptions
> > about D1 that you've pointed out in the past probably just help
> > contribute to the idea that we'll have a D3 at some point. Maybe we will,
> > maybe we won't, but there's no point in worrying about it for years yet.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> People has been talking about D3 for quite a while. Have a look at:
>
> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel
>
> Search for "Known to be deferred to D3.0". The features listed there
> were talked about before D2.

Oh. I know that they've been talking about it for a while, but as far as I can
tell, the term has gotten used primarily due to people who don't like the fact
that D2 is doing something a particular way or isn't doing something a
particular way and who hope that there will be a future version of the
language which does it the way that they want. Certainly, it's not something
which Walter has pushed at all (the opposite, if anything).

- Jonathan M Davis