When is casting const() away actually necessary? (Used to be: Re: Why D const is annoying)

Oleg Kuporosov Oleg.Kuporosov at gmail.com
Fri May 4 04:43:23 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

it was really good and productive discussion on const and
immutability,
special thanks for those (Jonatan,Steven,Cris,etc) who answered
hard Mehrad's questions and clarified so important topics.

Can I kindly ask you folks to update FAQ on the site to have
ability for newcomers to see answers on

   Why const and immutable?
   Why the names const and immutable?
   How exactly is immutable related to multicores?
   Ok, I'm fine with immutable for safe data sharing among
threads. But why do we need the uninformative const?
   Why are immutable strings favored in D 2.0?

it are still open but I feel majority of it were answered here.

"Attributes" page has no answered also "shared", "immutable",
"inout" and "const"'s description is so uninformative taking into
account how much details were discussed here.

It will definitelly help and reduce amount of repeated noisy
topics in major and learn forums.

Great thanks,
Oleg.