GSOC Linker project

foobar foo at bar.com
Fri May 4 09:57:44 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 23:47:26 UTC, Trass3r wrote:
>> I'm interested in starting a project to make a linker besides
>> optlink for dmd on windows.
>
> Imho changing dmd to use COFF (incl. 64 support) instead of
> that crappy OMF would be more beneficial than yet another
> linker.
>

>> My vision is to create a linker in a relatively modern
>> language (D) and to release the project as open source.
>
> If you do write a linker then make it cross-platform right from
> the start; and modular so it can support all object file
> formats.

How about augmenting the object format so that libraries would be
self contained and would not require additional .di files? Is
this possible optlink by e.g. adding special sections that would
be otherwise ignored?

I think that's what Go did in their linker but I don't know what
format they use, if it's something specific to Go or general.