GSOC Linker project

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat May 5 09:51:40 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 02:39:00PM -0700, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 04 May 2012 14:12:16 -0700, H. S. Teoh
> <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
[...]
> >Exactly. And while we're at it, *really* strip unnecessary stuff from
> >.di files, like function bodies, template bodies, etc.. That stuff is
> >required by the compiler, not the user, so stick that in the object
> >files and let the compiler deal with it. The .di file should be ONLY
> >what's needed for the user to understand how to use the library.
[...]
> I've written code to do this, but apparently it breaks Phobos in the
> autotester. I can't get it to break Phobos on my local machine so I'm
> at a loss as how to fix it. Maybe you can help? The code is here:
> https://github.com/LightBender/dmd.git
[...]

Sorry for taking so long to respond, been busy. Got some time this
morning to cloned your repo and built dmd, then rebuilt druntime and
phobos, and got this error from phobos:

../druntime/import/core/sys/posix/sys/select.di(25): function declaration without return type. (Note that constructors are always named 'this')
../druntime/import/core/sys/posix/sys/select.di(25): no identifier for declarator __FDELT(int d)
../druntime/import/core/sys/posix/sys/select.di(27): function declaration without return type. (Note that constructors are always named 'this')
../druntime/import/core/sys/posix/sys/select.di(27): no identifier for declarator __FDMASK(int d)
make[1]: *** [generated/linux/release/32/libphobos2.a] Error 1
make: *** [release] Error 2

Looks like the bug only triggers when you rebuild druntime before
rebuilding phobos. Hope this helps. Let me know if you want me to test
anything else.

Freedom: (n.) Man's self-given right to be enslaved by his own depravity.