D3 is potentially damaging

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun May 6 07:30:18 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 15:18 +0200, deadalnix wrote:
[...]
> PHP does a good job with that. I include supporting several versions of
> the language at a given moment.

I have to say I thought reacting to the idea of D2->D3 with "there must
not be a D3, it would be a disaster" is just wrong. Clearly there can be
a D3 if that proves to be a good thing. Then possibly a D4.  It is all
about evolution, marketing and expectation management.  Saying there
will never be a D3 is as off-putting as having a D3 too soon.

For lessons in what to do and what not to do I offer Java.

The 1.2 -> 1.4.2 sequence was handled reasonably well.  Up to 5 and
thence to 7 were handled very badly. The revised JCP EC have forced a
much better process and I see 8 onwards being handled at least
reasonably well.

Of course there are still people using 1.3 which is outrageous.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk