GSOC Linker project

Pierre LeMoine yarr.luben+dlang at gmail.com
Sun May 6 13:37:46 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 22:53:03 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen
wrote:
> Absolutely possible, though too late for this year's GSoC. If
> you're still interested in working on it for GSoC 2013 (if
> Google decides to do another GSoC (which they most likely
> will)), then be sure to submit a proposal!
Too bad for me i guess, but i'll still try to get into my
university's SoC-program. And it'd be better to start the project
now compared to waiting for a year to start ;p

> Sounds like a good idea to me. Though in my personal opinion,
> you should try to make the linker as platform-agnostic as
> possible, so it's easy to adapt for new platforms / file
> formats.

Thanks! I'll try to make it modular and awesome in the end, but
for a start i'll just aim to make a linker that's usable with dmd
on windows. It's easier to make a good design after getting some
more hands-on experience, i think.

> As for resources on linkers, I think your best bet is reading
> the LLVM and GCC source code. I think someone also started an
> LLVM (machine code) linker project recently, but I don't know
> where to find it.

Guess i've got some interesting reading to do.. =)
I've come across http://www.iecc.com/linker/ which is quite
interesting to read. It seems that it is "quite old", but i don't
know how much the linker infrastructure has progressed the last
ten years so it's probably still reasonably up to date, i hope ;p