GSOC Linker project

Pierre LeMoine yarr.luben+dlang at gmail.com
Sun May 6 14:21:36 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 23:47:26 UTC, Trass3r wrote:

> Imho changing dmd to use COFF (incl. 64 support) instead of
> that crappy OMF would be more beneficial than yet another
> linker.

I'd love to, but i don't think i can spend a whole summer doing
that ;)

> If you do write a linker then make it cross-platform right from
> the start; and modular so it can support all object file
> formats.

I intend to first make something that works and gather experience
and get a firm graps of all the quirks of writing a linker first.
And there seems to be nice features such as dead code elimination
and template magic to consider as well. Would be a shame to limit
the capabilities by making the design to well defined in the
beginning of the project, i think.
So i'll defer the modularity & cross-platforminess for now but
keep it in mind for the long run :)