nginx reverse proxy for vibe tutorial

James Miller james at aatch.net
Sun May 6 15:42:19 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 6 May 2012 at 22:32:16 UTC, James Miller wrote:

> I thought it should work, and I'm probably missing something,
> but here:
>
> nginx: [emerg] "proxy_pass" cannot have URI part in location
> given by regular expression, or inside named location, or
> inside "if" statement, or inside "limit_except" block in
> /etc/nginx/conf/nginx.conf:87
> nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/conf/nginx.conf test failed
>
> Thats what I get at the "Checking configuration stage".
>
> For the record, using a named section works perfectly for my
> php configuration section, so I'm wondering if its something to
> with proxy_pass?
>
> --
> James Miller

Well a bit of googling reveals this annoying problem:

using `proxy_pass http://localhost:8080/;` is an error, where
using `proxy_pass http://localhost:8080;` is fine.

I think FUUUUUUUUUU is the most appropriate sentiment here.

For the record: the most recent, working, version of the
configuration is. Its also more flexible and secure, which is
nice.

        server {
	listen		80;
	server_name	vibe.mysite.com;

	location / {
		root /path/to/statics;
		try_files $uri @vibe;
	}

	location @vibe {
		proxy_pass http://localhost:8080;
		proxy_redirect     off;

		proxy_pass_request_body on;
		proxy_http_version 1.1;

		proxy_set_body $request_body;

		proxy_set_header   Host             $host;
		proxy_set_header   X-Real-IP        $remote_addr;
		proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;