GSOC Linker project

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun May 6 22:33:37 PDT 2012

Delphi, Turbo Pascal and FreePascal do the same.

All the required information is stored in the tpu/fpu files (Turbo/Free
Pascal Unit).

A command line tool or IDE support easily show the unit interface.

--
Paulo

"foobar"  wrote in message news:abzrrvpylkxhdzsdhesg at forum.dlang.org...

On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 23:47:26 UTC, Trass3r wrote:
>> I'm interested in starting a project to make a linker besides optlink for
>> dmd on windows.
>
> Imho changing dmd to use COFF (incl. 64 support) instead of that crappy
> OMF would be more beneficial than yet another linker.
>

>> My vision is to create a linker in a relatively modern language (D) and
>> to release the project as open source.
>
> If you do write a linker then make it cross-platform right from the start;
> and modular so it can support all object file formats.

How about augmenting the object format so that libraries would be
self contained and would not require additional .di files? Is
this possible optlink by e.g. adding special sections that would
be otherwise ignored?

I think that's what Go did in their linker but I don't know what
format they use, if it's something specific to Go or general.