GSOC Linker project

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun May 6 22:53:49 PDT 2012

I really really think that mankind did a wrong turn when C won over Pascal
in the 80's.

And that Wirth somehow lost interest in the industry and did not try to push
Modula-* or Oberon. There are some papers where he states this.

Now we suffer from

- daggling pointers
- buffer overflows
- pre-historic compiler toolchains

With luck, Spec#, Go or more nicely D, will put us back on track.

--
Paulo

"dennis luehring"  wrote in message news:jo2kb8$htd$1 at digitalmars.com...

Am 05.05.2012 09:06, schrieb dennis luehring:
> Am 04.05.2012 20:26, schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:
>>  On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:54:38 -0400, Andrej Mitrovic
>>  <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com>   wrote:

>>>   How would you use a library you don't even have the interface to? I
>>>   mean if you can't even look at the API in your editor.. that'd be
>>>   insane.
>>
>>  Ever heard of Java?
>>
>>  -Steve
>
> ever heard about Turbo Pascal (and delphi) got this feature since turbo
> pascal 4 around 1987
>
> and turbo pascal and delphi are extremely fast native compilers without
> any Java, .Net magic

an more up-to-date example can be seen using the freepascal compiler and
its ppdump tool: http://www.freepascal.org/tools/ppudump.var

and turbo pascal gots even since 1987 a very good package system like a
Java Jar file - you can just integrate compiled pascal sources (.pas ->
.tpu) into something called .tpl file (turbo pascal library)

the freepascal compiler got something similar called .ppl

these "technologies" are damn good and invented so long before - but
sometimes totaly unknown to all the obj-file-linker-guys