Java and D [ was Re: D3 is potentially damaging ]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun May 6 23:18:21 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 19:41 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 May 2012 at 14:43:45 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Of course there are still people using 1.3 which is outrageous.
>
> The consulting company I work for, still gets requests for
> proposals
> using 1.4, which is not any better.

I know of no comprehensible reason why any new Java project is not using
Java 7, other than incompetence somewhere in the decision making.

> Actually, last year was the first time I took part on a project
> where
> 1.6 was allowed. And before that, we did a migration to 1.5 in
> another
> project.

Migrating from pre Java 5 to Java 5 seems like a very bad decision given
Java 5 died a long time ago. Any migration has to be to Java 7.

> Product deployment in the enterprise world is a pain.

Only because of bad planning or decision making.

The analogies for D are clear.  The conclusion is that we need to find
resource to ensure the GDC and LDC folks are supporting the same version
of D that DMD is supporting at any time. Currently DMD is at 2.059
whilst GDC is at 2.057. Not a planning problem as far as I am aware,
just a resource problem: i.e. not enough people paid, directly or
indirectly to work on these compilers.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk