GSOC Linker project

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon May 7 06:27:53 PDT 2012

I like the idea, need to check what information I could provide.

Wirth's books about Oberon also provide similar information.

--
Paulo

"dennis luehring"  wrote in message news:jo85t1$1n9b$1 at digitalmars.com...

Am 07.05.2012 07:53, schrieb Paulo Pinto:
> I really really think that mankind did a wrong turn when C won over Pascal
> in the 80's.
>
> And that Wirth somehow lost interest in the industry and did not try to
> push
> Modula-* or Oberon. There are some papers where he states this.
>
> Now we suffer from
>
> - daggling pointers
> - buffer overflows
> - pre-historic compiler toolchains
>
> With luck, Spec#, Go or more nicely D, will put us back on track.

we should collect all the advantages of turbo pascal/delphi
object-file-formats and make a small description post to show others in
a clear understandable way how good/and longlife these technics are

so the unit-system (turbo pascal: .pas -> .tpu, delphi: .pas->.dcu, free
pascal: .pas -> ppu), the tpumover, ppumover for tpl or ppl libraries,
the dll delphi solution .bpl

and the advantage of controling the output of source inside the source
program -> exe, unit -> object, library -> dynamic libray etc.

any ideas how to start?