GSOC Linker project

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon May 7 10:21:54 PDT 2012

Am 07.05.2012 15:30, schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:
> On Mon, 07 May 2012 09:22:05 -0400, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org>
> wrote:
>
>> This just confirms what I saw yesterday on a presentation.
>>
>> Many developers re-invent the wheel, or jump to the fad technology of the
>> year, because they don't have the knowledge of old already proven
>> technologies,
>> that for whatever reason, are no longer common.
>>
>> We need better ways to preserve knowledge in our industry.
>
> Again, don't take offense. I never suggested Java's use of an already
> existing technology was in some way a "new" thing, just that it proves
> it can work.
>
> I'm sure back in the day, TurboPascal had to walk uphill through the
> snow to school both ways too. :)
>
> -Steve

No offense taken.

My reply was just a small rant, based on your answer on lack of contact
with Turbo Pascal and other languages I mentioned.

Yesterday I watched a presentation, where the guy complains on knowledge
being lost due to the lack of proper mentors in the industry,

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/The-Frustrated-Architect

I have spent a huge time in the university learning about compiler
development, reading old books and papers from the early computing days.

So in a general way, and not directed to you now, I saddens me that a
great part of that knowledge is lost to most youth nowadays.

Developers get amazed with JavaScript JIT compilation, and yet it
already existed in Smalltalk systems.

Go advertises fast compilation speeds, and they were already available
to some language systems in the late 70's, early 80's.

We are discussing storing module interfaces directly in the library
files, and most seem to never heard of it.

And the list goes on.

Sometimes I wonder what do students learn in modern CS courses.

--
Paulo