GSOC Linker project

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Mon May 7 10:34:49 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Steven Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 07 May 2012 12:59:24 -0400, Andrew Wiley <wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 07 May 2012 09:27:32 -0400, Alex Rønne Petersen <
>>>
>>> That's exactly what storing the interface in the object file does.  You
>>> don't need the source because the object file contains the compiler's
>>> interpretation of the source, and any inferred properties it has
>>> discovered.
>>>

>> Putting inferred purity into an object file sounds like a bad idea. It's
>> not hard to imagine this scenario:
>> -function foo in libSomething is inferred as pure (but not declared pure
>> by
>> the author)
>> -exeSomethingElse is compiled to use libSomething, and the compiler takes
>> advantage of purity optimizations when calling foo
>> -libSomething is recompiled and foo is no longer pure, and
>> exeSomethingElse
>> silently breaks
>>

> no, it just doesn't link.
>

>  Purity inference is fine for templates (because recompiling the library
>> won't change the generated template code in an executable that depends on
>> it), but in all other cases, the API needs to be exactly what the author
>> declared it to be, or strange things will happen.
>>

> I agree that's the case with the current object/linker model.  Something
> that puts inferred properties into the object file needs a new model, one
> which does not blindly link code that wasn't compiled from the same sources.

Then all you've done is to make attributes the author can't control part of
the API, which will force library users to recompile their code more often
for non-obvious reasons. Avoiding that is one of the points of shared
libraries.

I think we're actually talking about different contexts. I'm speaking in
the context of shared libraries, where I think the API needs to be exactly
what the author requests and nothing more. With object files, static
libraries, and static linking, I agree that this sort of thing could work
and wouldn't cause the same problems because it's impossible to swap the
library code without recompiling/relinking the entire program.