-wi on default?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon May 7 19:21:06 PDT 2012

Jonathan M Davis:

> A good programmer will never leave _any_ warnings in committed
> code.

Sometimes warnings are wrong, the compiler is not perfect.
If the compiler is certain there is a mistake in the code, then
generating an error is better. Bugs are probabilistic.
Good lints don't have just "errors", they report issues
classified in four or five levels of increasingly probability of
actual problem being present (naming them something like "Info",
"Note", "Warning", "Probable Error", and "Error").

> But certainly the normal thing to do would be to make -wi the
> default. It'll never happen, but it would be how most compilers
> work.

Thank you Jonathan for the very nice way you kill this idea ;-) I
have some faith in future improvements still.

Bye,
bearophile