-wi on default?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 7 20:43:21 PDT 2012

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.406.1336442026.24740.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> And -w is _completely_ unique AFAIK.

No, -w is literally the same as "Treat warnings as errors", which many
compilers have (esp. C/C++). DMD is just unique in *calling* it "Warnings"
instead of "Treat warnings as errors".

> That said, I increasingly agree with Walter's philosophy that something
> should
> either be an error or not and that warnings are flawed by nature.

I always felt (and still do) that that's an overly puritanical view of
reality. In an ideal world, yes, there should be no need for warnings and
everything is either right or wrong. Problem is, reality sucks, and there
are times when it's impratical or unrealistic to cram a bit of grey into
that binary "right-or-wrong" mold. Hence, warnings.

> So, nothing
> which is a warning is really any different from an error except for the
> fact
> that it may be reasonable to leave it alone temporarily while editing or
> debugging code.

I consider that a very strong argument *in favor* of warnings having real
value.

Of course, this isn't to say that there aren't any warnings we should change
into errors. Mandatory flow-control at the end of a "case:" block is a prime
example, IMHO.