Does D have too many features?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue May 8 06:57:29 PDT 2012

foobar:

> As others said, the only thing that sort-of makes sense is to
> copy/paste *declarations* and even those are different enough
> in D that they deserve at least a look over to make sure they
> are correct.
>
> We shouldn't promote this "goal" at all especially given that
> it isn't even guarantied to be 100% correct in all cases.
> Really what we should be promoting is the fact that D is _link_
> compatible with C and allows you to use existing C code
> _without_ porting it to D.

For various reasons I have translated many times routines,
functions and other small and medium amounts of C code to D. And
in many cases I have used the C std lib functions to circumvent
bugs or limitations or performance problems of Phobos. In both
cases I have found the C functions quite useful, so moving them
into not built-in stuff is bad for me. The risk of using C
functions by mistake is low enough.

Bye,
bearophile