Does D have too many features?

foobar foo at bar.com
Tue May 8 07:48:26 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 13:57:30 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> foobar:
>
>> As others said, the only thing that sort-of makes sense is to
>> copy/paste *declarations* and even those are different enough
>> in D that they deserve at least a look over to make sure they
>> are correct.
>>
>> We shouldn't promote this "goal" at all especially given that
>> it isn't even guarantied to be 100% correct in all cases.
>> Really what we should be promoting is the fact that D is
>> _link_ compatible with C and allows you to use existing C code
>> _without_ porting it to D.
>
> For various reasons I have translated many times routines,
> functions and other small and medium amounts of C code to D. And
> in many cases I have used the C std lib functions to circumvent
> bugs or limitations or performance problems of Phobos. In both
> cases I have found the C functions quite useful, so moving them
> into not built-in stuff is bad for me. The risk of using C
> functions by mistake is low enough.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

That does not contradict what I said. No one stops you from
_translating_ C/C++ code (or any other language for that matter)
to D. You shouldn't however rely on _copy/pasting_ C code and
expect it to magically just work with 100% certainty.
I also did not say that using C headers should be forbidden,
merely that it should obey the code organization - the current
scheme which was defined by Walter is to put such headers in
Deimos.
I wouldn't mind if Deimos would come bundled with the D
tool-chain or be easily accessible via a package manager, Just
that code should be kept organized according to our own defined
scheme. Besides, what if I find it useful to use e.g. FORTRAN
code, should the relevant functions also be in the stdlib?