dmd from git segfaulting when used with wrong version of druntime

Brad Roberts braddr at slice-2.puremagic.com
Tue May 8 17:23:11 PDT 2012

On Tue, 8 May 2012, deadalnix wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running linux debian x86_64, it may matter.
>
> The current version of dmd in git master segfault every single time it is ran
> with an old version of druntime. This is already an issue that the compiler
> segfault instead of providing any usefull error message (or at least a stack
> trace, which I can't get even with gdb for unknown reasons).
>
> But worse : even with playing with the command line, I'm unable to get the
> right version of druntime used.
>
> This means that I'm reduced to either fuck up my whole system by replacing
> druntime by the git one, or modify global config file to achieve similar
> results.
>
> This means stop any meaning full work *IN* D when I work *ON* D. This is very
> problematic, and likely to stop me to work *ON* right now.
>
> Is it possible to use a given druntime with some command line when calling dmd
> ? If it is, HOW ? If it isn't, I highly encourage this to be planned ASAP.

You can use -defaultlib=libname to tell it where to find the libphobos2.a
(which will contain the runtime if you built with the standard make
files).

However, the way I recommend is to drop a dmd.conf (or sc.ini on windows)
file in the same directory as the built dmd executable that points to the
right directories for your newly built druntime and phobos.