Why typedef's shouldn't have been removed :(

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed May 9 02:53:30 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:00:37 mta`chrono wrote:
> >> Maybe it's not directly related to this topic, but shouldn't that be
> >> rather part of druntime?
> >
> > Only if something else in druntime needs it, which it doesn't.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> There is a real trend to purify the language. I also think it's the
> right decision to replace compiler intrinsics / language feature with
> their library counterparts. Moving stuff to phobos is fine as long as
> you use phobos. But I'm using tango and druntime. I haven't even
> installed phobos on my system. The same impacts deimos. People tend to
> create unneccessary phobos dependencys.

In general, we're not sticking anything in druntime unless it needs to be
there. It's also pretty much expected that projects will use Phobos. druntime
isn't even provided at a separate library when distributed with dmd. If you're
specifically trying to avoid using Phobos, you can do that, but don't expect
stuff that doesn't need to be in druntime to be put into druntime just because
you don't want to use D's standard library.

Since Phobos is statically linked at this point, the parts that you don't use
wouldn't be pulled in anyway. But you can also copy it from Phobos and put it
in your project if you want to (as long as it doesn't have a lot of other
dependencies in Phobos).

Personally, I don't know how you could get by without using Phobos for at
least std.traits unless you avoid templates (which would _really_ be reducing
D's power - I'd hate to use D without templates), since it's a _lot_ harder to
have good template constraints without std.traits.

- Jonathan M Davis