Future of D style variadic fuctions

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 08:58:51 PDT 2012

On Wed, 09 May 2012 02:10:12 -0400, SiegeLord <none at none.com> wrote:

> For the ignorant: I do NOT mean variadic templates as used by std.stdio.
>
> I note that they are not mentioned in TDPL. What is the deal with them
> and their future? I'll be very displeased if I have to recode a good bit
> of Tango that uses them if they are removed... None of my attempts at
> coding a replacement for them using variadic templates have matched
> their efficiency (in terms of generated code size) or ease of use (they
> invariably require a shim function).

Not being mentioned in TDPL does not mean it will not be part of the
language.  Andrei purposely left out quite a few features and constructs
because they weren't finalized or were in flux.

That *doesn't* really include variadics, since those have been around for
ages.

But I wouldn't read too much into TDPL not including something.  And I
would be wholly against D removing D style variadics.  Phobos has opted
mostly for compile-time type info over runtime type info, but there are
scores of libraries that use runtime type info.  I'd be disappointed and
shocked if that aspect was removed.

-Steve