CTFE and DI: The Crossroads of D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 13:14:32 PDT 2012

On Wed, 09 May 2012 15:57:46 -0400, Adam D. Ruppe
<destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:

> The real WTF is we use .di files for druntime in the
> first place. It is performance sensitive and open source.
>
> We should be using the actual sources for inlining, ctfe,
> etc. anyway.
>
> Let's not torpedo the .di patch's value for just phobos.

I agree (although not generating .di files does not fix all the problems
of inlining and ctfe -- there are many stubbed functions even in the .d
files).

In my opinion, .di generation should by default generate fully-stripped
code except for templates.  If you want functions to be CTFE-able, don't
use auto-generated .di files to import them.

-Steve