Lack of open source shown as negative part of D on Dr. Dobbs

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 9 14:38:04 PDT 2012

"Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.465.1336596027.24740.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> The reason for proposing this is that currently if I wish to hack on
> Druntime or Phobos, I _have_ to use DMD.  True parity of the open-source
> compilers would be contributors being able to use their compiler of
> choice.

I didn't realize that was currently an issue. I agree, that ability would be
nice. Especially if/when we finally get good support for ARM-based phones
and tablets (back in my day, we called them PDAs), as that would be
completely non-DMD.

> That should put all the "not OS" complaints to bed properly.

Maybe, but I suspect most "not OSS" complaints would be coming from people
who don't even know that much about D, and are just knee-jerking over "The
main compiler's backend isn't OSS?!? Well fuck that, then!"

'Course, I have zero evidence to back up that assertion.