Lack of open source shown as negative part of D on Dr. Dobbs

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed May 9 14:54:36 PDT 2012

On 09/05/12 23:47, deadalnix wrote:
> And even more practical : I can't bundle dmd with an IDE for D to provide an
> easy setup for a user. I can't create a repository where dmd sit in to make it
> easy t install on linux. This make it harder for beginner to get started with D.

Actually, "You can't bundle it with an IDE" was one of the exact examples I
thought of making.

> Walter is arming his baby by trying to protect it.

I don't think this is Walter's intention as I believe he has worked quite hard
to get that code open sourced.  AFAIK it's a constraint inherited from Digital
Mars' past contractual obligations regarding that code.