CTFE and DI: The Crossroads of D

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:28:48 PDT 2012

On Wed, 09 May 2012 15:17:41 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> My take, FWIW:
>
> 1. DI is only useful for those anachronistic corporations who beleive in
> code-hiding (and even then, only the ones who release libs), which
> regardless of everything else, isn't even *realistic* anyway - there's
> always reverse-engineering, and with the super-popular JS there *IS NO*
> pre-compiled form, and yet non-OSS companies *still* get by just fine
> anyway. If you're relying on the increasingly-irrelevent practice of
> code-hiding (which there is *no such thing* - only obfuscation, which is
> exactly what compiling does, it only obfuscates the source, it doesn't
> hide
> it), then you need to accept that there *are* going to be things you will
> *never* be able to do, period, like virtual templates (which *are*
> possible
> in theory if all the source is available, even if D doesn't currently
> allow
> it).

Anachronistic or not, MANY companies still require it. And JS is not
exactly D, they attack to very different segments. And most companies
don't put anything of intellectual value in JS. But im not hear to argue
the morality of the point. Only that the DI generation issue will stop a
lot of groups from using D.

> 2. We should be seriously looking into the idea of making CTFE work by
> executing already-compiled code, a la Nemerle (but without needing the
> extra
> build step). There may be enough technical hurdles involved to hold this
> back for [the still-hypothtical] D3, but it should at least be a
> direction
> we should be seriously considering. (Unless someone can already come up
> with
> a deal-breaking reason now.) Actually, there's *FAR* more important
> things
> than this right now, like a solid ARM-tablet toolchain, so this should
> definitely just be an "on hold for now" feature.

I concur here. There are definitely more important things than making CTFE
work against object-code.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender