Lack of open source shown as negative part of D on Dr. Dobbs

"Michaël "Michaël
Wed May 9 17:52:05 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 10 May 2012 at 00:28:43 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2012, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>
>> On 10/05/12 01:43, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> > If you're using ldc or gdc, you should develop agains the
>> > gdc/ldc provided
>> > druntime and phobos too.
>>
>> No, that's a recipe for fragmentation.  Phobos should be
>> developed in consort
>> with the DMD frontend.  The problem is that DMD frontend
>> updates take time to
>> percolate across to GDC/LDC.
>
> You're reading something other than what I said.  Develop
> against doesn't
> imply leave it forked.

But it implies additional maintenance: merge the upstream
druntime/phobos, make sure your custom patches (if any) still
works, delay in security and bug fix, additional support for the
community if the version shipped with GDC and/or is too old.