Lack of open source shown as negative part of D on Dr. Dobbs

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed May 9 20:35:17 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 09, 2012 22:15:23 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > Yeah. The lack of open sourceness for the backend is pretty much complete
> > FUD.
> The problem is, the damage is there and is real. It's like in those
> crazy situations - an allegation of harassment still affects a teacher's
> career, even if there's a simple explanation. The only answer to "is it
> open source?" can be an unqualified "yes".

Well, that's what FUD does. It creates Fear Uncertainty and Doubt without
being backed by facts. It just creates damage. So, the situation itself
shouldn't be a problem, but people keep bringing it up anyway, which _does_
cause us problems.

> I wish we could get rid of this crappy backend situation.

Yeah, but I don't know how. As long as Semantec has the rights to it and won't
change its license, we don't have much choice - not unless we want to replace
the whole thing.

- Jonathan M Davis