Lack of open source shown as negative part of D on Dr. Dobbs

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 21:09:28 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 10 May 2012 at 03:40:54 UTC, Michaël Larouche wrote:
> It's a crazy idea I know, but maybe we could, as a community,
> buy the rights from Symantec. Blender was a close-source
> program originally and the open-source community raised money
> to buy the source code from the defunct company that made
> Blender.

  I'd prefer to see LLVM used as the back end; mostly based on
emerging technologies and it's likely a bit cleaner than GNU.

  Anyways. If the community wants to buy the rights so we can free
it, I guess it's just a matter of collecting the money and
finding out what their price is, and they have to weigh the cost
vs current and future possible profits. How much would it cost to
buy it from them? $100K? $25K?